Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Recipe day!

Here I am, another week has past and I'm just now posting.  This is what happens when you're busy and need to come home to rest instead of blog I suppose.

Spencer and I had the first weekend since starting this healthy eating kick that we allowed ourselves to eat a whole bunch of unhealthy things.  I felt terribly guilty.  Spencer reminded me that we still ate better this weekend than we ever used to.  I don't think hearing that helped.

Yesterday's meals consisted of a total calorie count of: 1259.
Breakfast- Honey Nut Cheerios w/ skim milk + 2 cups black coffee.
Lunch- Healthy Choice Tuscan Chicken, baby carrots, mandarin oranges, and sugar-free jell-o
Afternoon snack- chocolate and marshmallow Easter eggs (yeah I know right?)
Super- Chili

I want you to know how I was able to keep my calorie count SO low and still eat 2 chocolate marshmallow eggs.  I made a chili called Texas Soup.  It is only 122 calories per 8oz (1 cup) serving and contains veggies.  If you're interested in making this, the recipe will be listed below.

Today, we had an area minister's meeting... this means eating out.  So, for
Breakfast I had 1/2 of a bagel w/ cream cheese, cantelope + 2 cups of black coffee (292 calories).
Lunch was a beef brisket sandwich with steamed veggies (approx 500, had to guess a bit here)
Snack was a tall non-fat caramel macchiato (140 calories) this is proof that you can still get your latte and not worry so much about calories!
and a chocolate marshmallow egg- 100 cal (I'm hoping to eat them all this week so I don't have to deal with this anymore!)
Supper was honey chili chicken with asparagus and an Izze (162 calories).
Small Group Eileen came... you know, from Eileen's Colossal Cookies?  I ate a snickerdoodle... hard to pass up= 199 calories
Today's total- 1483


Texas Soup
2 (15 oz) cans of diced tomatoes (I buy low sodium)
1 can of corn
1 can of Bush's medium chili beans
1 lb. of lean ground turkey
1 pkg taco seasoning
1 pkg ranch dressing mix

Brown the turkey in a pot.  Add the entire can (juice and all) of the corn, tomatoes, and chili beans.  Add in the ranch and taco seasoning.  I let this simmer for about an hour on a low-medium setting.  Super great and only 122 calories per cup!


Honey-Chili Chicken
4 (4 oz) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/3 c. honey
1/8 c. (2 T) sherry vinegar- i don't have that so I do 1 T sherry and 1 T vinegar
3/4 c. chicken broth
1/8 t. cumin
1/2 t. chili powder
1/4 onion, diced
Olive Oil

1.  In a skillet on medium heat, drizzle some olive oil and cook the onions until they are fairly transparent.
2.  Add in the honey and sherry vinegar.
3.  Add in the cumin, chili powder, and chicken broth.  Stir together.
4.  Bring to a boil for 5-10 minutes then reduce heat to low.
5.  Reduce sauce to 1/2.
6.  In a non-stick skillet cook the chicken breasts on a low-medium setting.  Pour a little chicken broth in the pan to keep the chicken from getting stuck to the pan.  This will "steam" or braise the chicken.
7.  When the sauce has reduced, pour it over the chicken and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes.  One chicken breast in the sauce = 141 calories.

*This one takes about an hour to make.  Make sure you set aside enough time.

No comments:

Post a Comment